Watershed Inspector, Senior (Technical Services Field Inspections)
Posting expires: December 12, 2023
Salary commensurate with experience
At the City of Atlanta, we are passionate about building and improving our community. Our police officers, firefighters and building inspectors keep our citizens safe. Our Public Works staff keeps our City clean and helps maintain, build and improve our City's infrastructure. Our City planners help envision and shape future City growth. Our Parks & Recreation professionals enhance our quality of life.
Our engineers help keep our drinking water clean, the largest airport in the world (by passenger volume) operating and our buildings maintained. Along with the host of Finance, Procurement, and Human Resources professionals whose support is vital, we are the City of Atlanta! If you are seeking a meaningful role where you can make a real difference improving and growing our City, we welcome you to explore the job opportunities we have to offer.
The Department of Watershed Management is a regional public water and wastewater utility serving 1.2 million people each day. The Department's core services include treatment and distribution of safe drinking water; collection and treatment of wastewater to a high standard; management of watersheds within the City of Atlanta; and customer care and billing services for 164,000 accounts. The Department's vision of being a leader in innovation, service and value is supported by eight strategic priorities including: Service Delivery, Infrastructure Reliability, Workforce Development, Operational Efficiency, Financial Resilience, Compliance, Smart Utility Transformation; and Safety, Security and Emergency Management.
The duties of this position are performed with considerable initiative and independent judgment under the direction of the division manager and contribute as part of a team to inspect, maintain, and operate water mains and associated appurtenances and/or sewer conveyance systems and appurtenances. Performs work in coordination with skilled and unskilled trade employees, construction contractors, technicians, and/or field engineers. Incumbent must ensure that best in class customer service is provided to both internal and external customers and embrace, support, and promote the City's core values, beliefs, and culture. Work under limited supervision and report to division manager.
Required Knowledge, Skills, And Abilities
- Knowledge of department policies and procedures and applicable industry standards.
- General knowledge of the principles, practices, and procedures of construction techniques for buried water/wastewater infrastructure.
- Knowledge and familiarity with water quality, city infrastructure, and meters, valves, fire hydrants, water distribution.
- Extensive knowledge of the methods, products, tools, and equipment used in water/wastewater maintenance and construction work.
- Experience using construction and maintenance tools and equipment to inspect, investigate, and troubleshoot infrastructure issues.
- Experience preparing written and computer daily logs, activity sheets, project sketches, reports, and other documentation.
- Strong Computer and Software (Microsoft) Skills; ability to utilize Microsoft Suites; very strong inter-personal and team working skills.
- Communicates diplomatically and effectively verbally and written.
- Manages conflict and concerns of the public.
- Ability to adapt to changes in work environment.
- Associate's degree in Engineering or Building Construction.
- Three (3) years in surveying, construction, or engineering; or any equivalent combination of education, training, and experience.
- State of Georgia active/valid Water Distribution Operator License.
Required Licensures and Certifications:
- Applicant must have an active/valid Water Distribution Operator License at the time of application.
- Applicant must have an active/valid Georgia Driver's License at the time of application.
Essential Capabilities and Work Environment
Required physical, lifting (up to 100 lbs), and sensory capabilities are requirements to perform the job successfully. Typical environmental conditions associated with job. Ability to stand, crawl, function in a confined or restricted space.
Closing Date/Time: 2023-12-12