Watershed Construction Maintenance Worker I (DWM – OLIO – Distribution)
Posting expires: November 14, 2023
Salary Range: $33,904 - $40,705.60
At the City of Atlanta, we are passionate about building and improving our community. Our police officers, firefighters and building inspectors keep our citizens safe. Our Public Works staff keeps our City clean and helps maintain, build and improve our City's infrastructure. Our City planners help envision and shape future City growth. Our Parks & Recreation professionals enhance our quality of life.
Our engineers help keep our drinking water clean, the largest airport in the world (by passenger volume) operating and our buildings maintained. Along with the host of Finance, Procurement, and Human Resources professionals whose support is vital, we are the City of Atlanta! If you are seeking a meaningful role where you can make a real difference improving and growing our City, we welcome you to explore the job opportunities we have to offer.
General Description and Classification Standards Performs semi-skilled construction and/or maintenance work in support of the wastewater collection system and/or the water distribution system for the Department of Watershed Management in the division of Linear Infrastructure Operations. Operates hand and power tools, light to medium construction equipment, etc. Generally works as a part of a work crew under the direct supervision of a crew leader. Work is performed frequently in cooperation with skilled trade employees, experienced equipment operators, technicians, or crew supervisors. Supervision Received Works under direct supervision and follows standardized procedures and written/verbal instructions to accomplish assigned tasks usually as part of a work crew.
Essential Duties & Responsibilities These are typical responsibilities for this position and should not be construed as exclusive or all inclusive. May perform other duties as assigned.
• Works with supervisor to perform water infrastructure O&M work assignments; completes assigned work orders in an efficient and effective manner; works in a safe and organized manner to ensure safety for self, crew and the public and to complete assignments correctly and on time.
• Works as part of a crew to inspect, maintain and repair water mains and associated appurtenances; place flags or cones to control traffic in case of water main break; maintain and repair water service laterals, fire hydrants and valves; assist in locating water service and water main utilities at the work site as necessary.
• Checks utility truck to assure that proper equipment and tools are present and in working order; requests approval for necessary materials to complete assigned work assignments.
• Maintains a safe and organized work area; stores tools; collects scrap and leftover materials; blows debris from sidewalks.
Decision Making Generally operates under the specific direction of crew supervisors or higher ranking manager. Selects from multiple standardized procedures, written instructions and methods to accomplish assigned tasks.
Knowledge, Skills & Abilities This is a partial listing of necessary knowledge, skills, and abilities required to perform the job successfully. It is not an exhaustive list.
• Knowledge of department policies and procedures: Knowledge of general site safety as it pertains to water/wastewater operations and maintenance. methods, products, tools and equipment used in water/wastewater maintenance and construction work; of basic mathematical principles.
• Skill: in operating a variety of light to heavy power equipment (jack hammer); in maintenance of tools and equipment (pumping equipment, hydraulic excavator, concrete socket).
• Ability: to understand and apply pertinent policies, procedures and regulations; to perform maintenance activities involving skills in the functional fields to which assigned; Ability to communicate diplomatically with crew members successfully address concerns. Ability adapt to changes in work environment.
Minimum Qualifications -
Education and Experience
• High school diploma or General Equivalency Diploma (GED).
• No prior experience required. Preferred Education & Experience
• 6 months of experience in construction and/or maintenance in a water distribution or wastewater collection system.
Essential Capabilities and Work Environment Required physical, lifting up to 100lbs, and sensory capabilities are requirements to perform the job successfully. Typical environmental conditions associated with job. Ability to stand, crawl, function in a confined or restricted space. City of Atlanta is an equal opportunity employer
Closing Date/Time: 2023-11-14