Water Service Representative, Sr-Dispatch-Olio-Operations
Posting expires on November 29, 2023
Salary range: $35,914 - $53,923
At the City of Atlanta, we are passionate about building and improving our community. Our police officers, firefighters and building inspectors keep our citizens safe. Our Public Works staff keeps our City clean and helps maintain, build and improve our City's infrastructure. Our City planners help envision and shape future City growth. Our Parks & Recreation professionals enhance our quality of life.
Our engineers help keep our drinking water clean, the largest airport in the world (by passenger volume) operating and our buildings maintained. Along with the host of Finance, Procurement, and Human Resources professionals whose support is vital, we are the City of Atlanta! If you are seeking a meaningful role where you can make a real difference improving and growing our City, we welcome you to explore the job opportunities we have to offer.
General Description and Classification Standards
The Water Service Representative Senior (Operations - Dispatch) is the public contact and recordkeeper for the operational, financial, and commercial records of the water utilities. Provides a wide range of information and services to utility customers and the public. Performs more routine tasks and duties with public contact and account management. Has previous customer service and public contact experience working under moderate supervision. Assists in training new Water Service Representatives and serves as a resource for other departments for various support or special projects.
Performs work under general supervision with regular review and advice from a manager or senior-level professional. Normally receives guidance regarding overall mission, scheduling, problem solving, unique priorities, etc.
Essential Duties & Responsibilities
These are typical responsibilities for this position and should not be construed as exclusive or all inclusive. May perform other duties as assigned.
- Responds to questions, complaints, or requests for service and analyzes data to determine proper response to questions.
- Research requests, problems, and complaints and initiates appropriate action; produces work orders to resolve service issues.
- Enters, retrieves, reviews, or modifies data in computer database and verifies accuracy of entered data.
- Sets up or disconnects utility service by telephone, correspondence, and in-person.
- Analyzes customer records to apply appropriate utility rates.
- Establishes deposit amounts for new utility users and authorizes deposit refunds.
- Processes temporary water meter applications, assessment fees, and meter applications ensuring City requirements are met.
- Answers customer questions; investigates and resolves complaints for utility billing procedures; prepares water bills; reviews, audits, analyzes, and reconciles customer billings records and adjustments as needed.
- Uses various computer systems to enter data of new utility customers and make data changes.
- Interacts with customers, coordinates with utility field and billing departments, and obtains information to assist customers.
- Determines and resolves utility payment problems and mis-readings.
- Research, re-calculates, and adjusts incorrect bills.
- Prepares orders to install, remove, and repair meters; posts, disconnects, restores, or verifies services; and performs other service-related changes.
- Performs financial transactions, including processing or transferring payments, refunding credit amounts or deposits, adjusting charges and/or deposits, and adjusting service fees.
- Audits, analyzes, and reconciles computer reports; prepares periodic special reports; and maintains records, logs, and ledgers.
- Research customer records to resolve more difficult customer questions and prepare correspondence in response.
- Resolves customer billing disputes and presents analysis to water sewer appeals board.
- Communicates with customers by telephone, mail, email, or other communication.
Ability to work productively on a team and provide guidance to lower-level team members as needed.
Knowledge, Skills & Abilities
This is a partial listing of necessary knowledge, skills, and abilities required to perform the job successfully. It is not an exhaustive list.
- General knowledge and principles of human relations
- Experience using computer office applications and equipment and following office procedures.
- Background in written English and business math
- Communicates effectively with utility customers in person and over the telephone.
- Understands relevant procedures and uses good judgment interpreting and applying correct principles in a variety of circumstances.
- Makes accurate and logical determinations based on data and interpretive guidelines.
- Maintains accurate records, speaks clearly and concisely, and can converse with customers while accurately entering data.
Minimum Qualifications - Education and Experience
- High school diploma or General Equivalency Diploma (GED)
Four (4) years of experience in customer service with public contact
involving personal computers
Essential Capabilities and Work Environment
Required physical, lifting, and sensory capabilities are requirements to perform the job successfully. Typical environmental conditions associated with job.
The City of Atlanta is an equal opportunity employer.
Closing Date/Time: 2023-11-29