Water Service Representative- DWM-OLIO- (Operations)
Posting expires: November 16, 2023
Salary range: $31,400 - $47,200
At the City of Atlanta, we are passionate about building and improving our community. Our police officers, firefighters and building inspectors keep our citizens safe. Our Public Works staff keeps our City clean and helps maintain, build and improve our City's infrastructure. Our City planners help envision and shape future City growth. Our Parks & Recreation professionals enhance our quality of life.
Our engineers help keep our drinking water clean, the largest airport in the world (by passenger volume) operating and our buildings maintained. Along with the host of Finance, Procurement, and Human Resources professionals whose support is vital, we are the City of Atlanta! If you are seeking a meaningful role where you can make a real difference improving and growing our City, we welcome you to explore the job opportunities we have to offer.
General Description and Classification Standards
The purpose of this position is to perform duties in Watershed Dispatch involving reception and transmission of radio and telephone calls to and from public and Watershed Management employees in the field and activation of emergency and non-emergency repair crews; may perform related duties as assigned. Watershed Dispatch operates 24 hours a day; 7 days a week including holidays.
Work under close supervision from the Customer Service Manager, Sr. and Water Service Representative, Seniors who are designated leads. Work in progress and completed work is reviewed continuously.
Essential Duties & Responsibilities These are typical responsibilities for this position and should not be construed as exclusive or all inclusive. May perform other duties as assigned.
- Research requests, problems, and complaints and initiate appropriate action; generate work orders to resolve service issues.
- Perform data entry functions by keying data into computer system. Enter, retrieve, review or modify data in computer database; verify accuracy of entered data and make corrections.
- Communicate with customers via telephone, mail, email or other means of communication.
- Prioritize and process information pertaining to emergency and non-emergency maintenance needs requiring the dispatch of personnel and equipment to work site locations and provide information to Watershed Management staff, citizens and other agencies.
- Respond to telephone calls from the public regarding emergency and nonemergency situations requiring the attention and assistance of maintenance personnel.
- Make initial assessment of an emergency or non-emergency situation and determine the degree of danger, damage, urgency, inconvenience involved, or service needs.
- Utilize work order management system to create, update and complete service requests and work orders.
- Dispatch appropriate personnel and equipment to work sites as necessary or as directed, based on factors of safety, urgency, work schedules, and proximity of available crew to site locations.
- Inform police and fire personnel of road conditions and/or hazards in areas where they are requested to provide assistance.
- Serve as liaison to receive and relay radio transmissions from field personnel to appropriate staff or other agencies. Monitor and record the location of work crews in the field.
- Interpret city maps for the purpose of guiding and assisting maintenance personnel in locating a work site.
- Provide basic water/sewer infrastructure information to individuals, companies, agencies, and other city departments.
- Operate and monitor two-way radio.
- Select transmitter for the operation of radio communications.
- Maintain daily log of dispatch orders, maintenance request, and computer database.
- Contact customers by phone as required by field personnel.
Follow standardized procedures and written/verbal instructions to accomplish assigned tasks. Must be able to process information on hand and decide on next steps to complete tasks and/or resolve issues. Determines when to escalate issues to upper/senior management.
Knowledge, Skills & Abilities This is a partial listing of necessary knowledge, skills, and abilities required to perform the job successfully. It is not an exhaustive list.
- Through knowledge of principles and practices of best in class customer service.
- Knowledge of fundamental principles of human relations; personal computer operation in office applications; office procedures and equipment; English usage; business math.
- Communicate effectively, both orally and in writing. Communicate effectively with utility customers over the telephone; understand pertinent procedures and functions quickly and use good judgment in interpreting and applying them to a variety of circumstances under moderate supervision; operate a personal computer; analyze and evaluate data; make accurate and logical determinations based upon data and interpretive guidelines; maintain accurate records; speak clearly and concisely; simultaneously converse with customers and accurately enter data into a computer.
- Use independent judgment and make sound decisions in accordance with established procedures and policies.
- Work effectively and efficiently under stress and meet deadlines as required.
- Ability to use specialized office data systems and standard office software.
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationship with fellow employees and managers.
- Ability to provide information and to answer questions in a tact and courteous manner to the public.
- Ability to gather relevant information to solve practical problems.
Qualifications - External
Minimum Quaification - Education and Experience
- High school diploma or General Equivalency Diploma (GED)
- Minimum of 2 years' experience with Customer service public contact involving the use of personal computers.
Essential Capabilities and Work Environment
Required physical, lifting, and sensory capabilities are requirements to perform the job successfully. Typical environmental conditions associated with job.
City of Atlanta is an equal opportunity employer.
Closing Date/Time: 2023-11-16