This exciting opportunity is for the fire professional with significant fire operations experience who:
- is a relatable and approachable leader and has demonstrable experience building and sustaining a cohesive relationship with a City Council;
- values joining a department that is highly engaged within the community and has the natural ability to persistently yet patiently nurture unity and buy-in with staff, city leaders, and the community;
- uses innovative strategies to successfully address compression, recruitment, retention, and service delivery challenges within a growing fire department; and,
- is effective in advocating for department and staff needs, including equipment and technology upgrades and training opportunities for staff.
Responding to approximately 9,500 calls annually throughout its 38 square mile service area, the Warner Robins Fire Department provides fire prevention and suppression, fire safety education, emergency medical care, technical rescue, and hazardous materials response. The Warner Robins Fire Chief oversees the fire department's administration, suppression, training, and prevention.
The next Fire Chief will hold the department's 140 employees accountable to the department's goals, strategic direction, and mission "to serve the community with the highest degree of professionalism for life safety and property conservation ." Known as a valued mentor to employees, the successful candidate is passionate about investing in employees' personal growth and training. The next Fire Chief will prioritize bridging gaps across roles and divisions within the department and uniting personnel around a shared vision while building and maintaining high morale.
About the Organization, Department, and Position:
The City of Warner Robins, Georgia, operates under the Council-Manager form of government. With a FY 2024 budget of $165M and 619 employees, the city's solid internal operations and well-trained staff provide a firm foundation as it positions itself for current and future growth.
For nearly 65 years, the Warner Robins Fire Department has been committed to serving the community. In addition to Administration, Fire Prevention, Suppression, and Training, the fire department has a Special Operations division, including a Dive team, GSAR (Georgia Search and Rescue), Honor Guard, and Wild Land Firefighting. The department's state-of-the-art equipment, such as mobile data terminals in the fire apparatus and the Training Center with suppression training aids completed in 2019, supports its steady increase in service calls annually. The department has an apparatus fleet consisting of seven engines, three aerials, two brush trucks, and a command vehicle. Each Warner Robins Fire Department fire engine is a Class A triple combination pumper. Since 2017, the department has maintained a Fire Suppression Rating of Class 2 by the Insurance Services Office (ISO).
Reporting to the City Administrator, the Fire Chief will oversee all department functions and directly supervise two employees, the Deputy Fire Chief and Administrative Assistant. Approximately 32 firefighters rotate daily in three shifts to manage the department's seven fire stations throughout the city. The Fire Chief oversees the department's FY2024 budget of $13.5M and routinely advocates for funds and resources to support the growing needs of the department.
The following are required :
- 15+ years of supervision experience, with 5+ years at the rank of Lieutenant or higher.
- 3 - 5 years of administrative experience.
- Bachelor's degree* in public safety-related area OR associate degree in public safety related PLUS 12 years of progressive firefighting experience. *Candidates with education and/or experience commensurate with a bachelor's degree also qualify.
- Experience developing and managing an annual operating budget of $13.5M or greater.
- Firefighter 2 from an IFSAC accredited agency or equivalent, and Fire Officer 2 preferred.
- Ability to meet current requirements set forth by the National Fire Protection Association and the Georgia Firefighter Standards and Training Act.
- Valid Georgia driver's license class C or higher or the ability to obtain one.
- Certifications: Hazardous Materials Operations level; NIMS 100, 200, 300, 400, 700, 800.
Salary and Benefits: The hiring range for the position is $86,341.82 - $131,772.33, depending on qualifications and experience. The City of Warner Robins provides a comprehensive benefits package, including medical, dental, vision, and life benefits. The city also provides retirement through a defined benefit program.
To apply, please visit https://www.governmentjobs.com/careers/developmentalassociates and click on the Fire Chief - Warner Robins, GA title.
- All applications must be submitted online via the Developmental Associates application portal (link above) - NOT the department's employment application portal or any other external website.
- Resumes and cover letters must be uploaded with the application.
- Applicants should apply by December 13, 2023 .
- Successful semi-finalists will be invited to participate in virtual interviews and skill evaluation interviews on January 18 - 19, 2024. Candidates are encouraged to reserve these dates for virtual meetings should they be invited to participate.
- Direct inquiries to firstname.lastname@example.org
The City of Warner Robins, GA, is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Developmental Associates, LLC manages the recruitment and selection process for this position. To learn more about our selection process, visit https://developmentalassociates.com/client-openings/, select "Client Openings," and scroll down to "Important Information for Applicants."