Assistant Director of Airport Planning & Development- Civil Engineering
The salary range for this position is $93,667-$156,181
General Description and Classification Standards
This position provides civil engineering direction, inter-disciplinary coordination, and leadership to the Department of Aviation's Planning and Development Civil Engineering staff. It provides support to the airport's Capital Improvement Program through design reviews and coordination with related projects. It provides support and coordination to Construction Managers and Project Managers when requested. This position manages and organizes resources to accomplish specific task assignments in the areas of project and facility management, design and design management, and construction management. This is a highly experienced professional who routinely exercises project leadership over complex projects, trains other professionals, and serves as a specialized subject matter expert in one or more specific areas.
The person in this position works independently and only regularly meets with the Director of Civil Engineering for discussion of broad general objectives and organizational priorities.
The work in this position requires decisions affecting the acceptability and feasibility of construction projects or parts thereof, from initial planning through final design, and then dealing with construction issues as they arise.
This position has formal supervisory authority over a work group (typically at least 3-4 employees) to include supervision, performance management, scheduling, and training. To effectively provide this leadership, the Assistant Director must be in the office five days per week.
Minimum Education and Experience
- Bachelor's degree in architecture, Engineering, or related area (Equivalent professional experience may be considered for substitution for the required degree on an exception basis).
- 10 years of work experience in Airport Design and construction or similar area including experience as a supervisor, team leader, etc.
Preferred Education and Experience
- Bachelor's degree in Civil Engineering and Master's degree in Civil Engineering
- Ten years of progressively responsible design experience covering airfields, roadways, and bridges
- Strong fundamentals of civil engineering, specifically, pavement, utilities, drainage, large-scale hydrology, earthwork, and road design
- Thorough familiarity with FAA design circulars
- Twenty plus years experience with hands-on airport/airfield design
- Ten plus years of experience managing engineers
- Working knowledge of City of Atlanta procurement and permitting procedures
Licensures and Certifications
- Registered Professional Engineer in the State of Georgia
- Valid State Issued Driver's License
Closing Date/Time: 2023-11-29